The Helford Voluntary Marine Conservation Area publishes regular newsletters.
We have selected articles from some of our most recent issues to be published here on our website. You can also download each issue in full from this page, or join us and receive your copy by post or email.
Newsletter No.45 Autumn 2012
- The Marine Science Project
- HMCG Members Committee Chairman’s report Autumn 2012
- W. L. Collins (Leslie)
- (Temporary!) Coordinator Introduction
- The Early Days of the Members’ Section
- Cllr Pam Lyne
- Survey Teams Take to the Shore!
- Helford Bass Surveys
- Getting to Know the Helford
- Diving the Depths of the Helford
- Are you a ‘Friend’ Yet?
- Supporting Business Profile : Budock Vean
- The Helford Conservation Cruise
- Photography Competition 2012
- On a Sunny Afternoon
Click here to download a free copy of issue No.45 Autumn 2012 in PDF format.
Newsletter No.44 Spring 2012
- Petrified moss (tufa) rediscovered in the Helford
- The final countdown of Your Shore
- HMCG Members Committee Chairman’s report Spring 2012
- Eelgrass update
- HMCG Advisory Group annual report 2012
- Kay Hocking
- Events profile: Abby Crosby’s predators and parasites talk
- Fal and Helford Recreational Boating project update
- Helford River Survey 2011 finds the Helford in good health
- Supporting Business Profile : Trelowarren
- HVMCA photography competition results
Click here to download a free copy of issue No.44 Spring 2012 in PDF format.
Newsletter No.43 Autumn 2011
Click here to download a free copy of issue No.43 Autumn 2011 in PDF format.
Newsletter No.42 Spring 2011
- A new name and a new era for Cornwall’s inshore waters
- Invasive species
- Your Shore – Full Throttle in 2011
- Volunteer Profile – James Agnew
- Eelgrass- An update
- HMCG Members Committee, Chairman’s report Spring 2011
- Tales of a Wildlife Photographer with David Chapman 11 Dec 2010
- Monitoring water birds on the Helford River
- Supporting Business Profile: The Great Atlantic Gallery
Click here to download a free copy of issue No.42 Spring 2011 in PDF format.
Newsletter No.41 Autumn 2010
- Venturing into Volunteering through the ‘Your Shore’ project
- HMCG Members Committee, Chairman’s report Autumn 2010
- Abigail Crosby
- Fiona Beale 1933-2010
- The Conservation of Bass
- HVMCA Information Boards
- New underwater eyes for Cornwall Sea Fisheries Committee
- Marine and Coastal Access Bill update
- Seaquest Netsafe
- Heading Wild Foods Walk
- Special Area’s of Conservation update
- Supporting businesses profile: Cornish Holiday Cottages
Click here to download a free copy of issue No.41 Autumn 2010 in PDF format.
Newsletter No.40 Spring 2010
- The National Lobster Hatchery – the future
- Your Shore – Cornwall’s Marine Heritage Project
- Cornish Dolphins – an update
- HMCG Annual Report April 2009 – mid March 2010
- HMCG Members Committee Chairman’s report Spring 2010
- Australasian immigrants head down in the Helford VMCA
- Helford barnacles
- Look closely
- Boats and barnacles
- Explore the Shore
- Durgan Fish cellar project
- ERICA for Windows Database
- Web site update
Click here to download a free copy of issue No.40 Spring 2010 in PDF format.
Newsletter No.39 Autumn 2009
Click here to download a free copy of issue No.39 Autumn 2009 in PDF format.
Newsletter No.38 Spring 2009
- Cornwall Wildlife Trust pinger project plans
- HMCG Summarised Annual Report – April 2008 – mid March 2009
- The Helford River Advisory and Management Committee
- Seahorses: the enigmatic fish
- Helford Marine Conservation Group Chairman’s report and newsletter
- (Almost) all change on members committee
- Falmouth Biathlon – Running and Swimming for the Helford!
- Seacore Ltd – from Gweek Quay to Far-off Seas
- Helford Community Quay Update
- Helford River Photography Competition Results
Click here to download a free copy of issue No.38 Spring 2009 in PDF format.
Newsletter No.37 Autumn 2008
- Eelgrass – flourishing in the Helford
- Membership chairman’s autumn newsletter, 2008
- Rocky shores and Snorkelling Safaris
- Congratulations to our Chairman, David Muirhead, for his deserving M.B.E!
- New co-ordinator enjoys wedded bliss!
- Discovering the Wonders of Looe’s Marine Heritage
- Duchy Oyster Farm Update
- Ode to Sabella for Pamela from Stella
- The Helford Marine Conservation Group takes to the water!
- Up all night (but not partying): UK’s first marine BioBlitz
- The history of Cornish seaweed observers
- Cornwall AONB Support Greatly Appreciated
- Helford VMCA launch 28 July 1988
- Photographic competition – ‘Celebrating 20 years of the Helford VMCA
Click here to download a free copy of issue No.37 Autumn 2008 in PDF format.
Newsletter No.36 Spring 2008
Click here to download a free copy of issue No.36 Spring 2008 in PDF format.
Newsletter No.35 Autumn 2007
Click here to download a free copy of issue No.35 Autumn 2007 in PDF format.
Newsletter No.34 Spring 2007
- Helford’s herons and enigmatic egret
- Helford around the world
- Natural England Update
- Annual report April 2006 – March 2007
- Heavenly Helford
- BBC team get their feet wet to film Helford’s fantastic rockpools
- Fal River Links 2006 summary at a glance
- Helford shellfish notes
- People page
Click here to download a free copy of issue No.34 Spring 2007 in PDF format.
Newsletter No.33 Autumn 2006
Click here to download a free copy of issue No.33 Autumn 2006 in PDF format.
Newsletter No.32 Spring 2006
- Helford VMCA Poetry Competition 2005
- Hidden habitats of the HVMCA -Eelgrass (Zostera marina) beds
- The Helford River – An Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
- Helford Marine Conservation Society – Chairman’s Report, Spring 2006
- Annual Report October 2005 – March 2006
- The intertidal flies of the Helford River
- Otters and waterways -the health status of otters (Lutra lutra)
Click here to download a free copy of issue No.32 Spring 2006 in PDF format.
Newsletter No.31 Autumn 2005
- Helford Native Oysters
- Alwyne Wheeler and the Flying Fishes
- New geological sites (RIGS)
- Annual Report October 2004 to September 2005
- A Botanical walk in May
- A cormorant and pipefish prey
- Farm Pollution advice in the Helford Catchment
Click here to download a free copy of issue No.31 Autumn 2005 in PDF format.
Newsletter No.30 Spring 2005
- Cornish dolphins, past, present and future
- Royal apparel, ladies’ gloves and the Fan Mussel
- Fal and Helford Oysters
- Counting Cornwall’s Crustaceans: the first 12 months
- Update on oil protection by Falmouth Oil Services Ltd
- University of Exeter study on the Helford Catchment
- Joana Doyle
Click here to download a free copy of issue No.30 Spring 2005 in PDF format.
Newsletter No.29 Autumn 2004
- The Helford River – a Haven for Bats
- Seacore – a success story from Gweek
- Annual Report October 2003 – September 2004
- An episodic epitoke
- Helford Conservation Cruise 2004
- “Secrets of the Sea” for the Cornwall Audio Visual Archive
- St. George’s Island Marine Reserve
- “By-the-wind Sailors” Attract attention
Click here to download a free copy of issue No.29 Autumn 2004 in PDF format.
Newsletter No.28 Spring 2004
- Seaweeds and animals of he the Helford River
- Look at the animals on the shore – events in 2004
- Seaweeds – of Helford and beyond
- Seasquirts from across the world invade Britain!!
- Here today, gone tomorrow – the Peacock worm Sabella pavonina
- Swans on Gillan Creek
- Diving into the blue, or should that be red?
- Happy 10th Birthday to you!
- Stella Turk’s cetacean notes from May 2003 – January 2004
- Jan’s cetacean report for 2004
- Dr Pamela Tompsett’s award
- Tribute to Barry Candy
Click here to download a free copy of issue No.28 Spring 2004 in PDF format.
Newsletter No.27 Autumn 2003
- Annual report – October 2002 – 2003
- Helford Farm Project
- Counting Cornwall’s Crustaceans
- Bumper Seabass hatch in 2002
- Cup Corals and Cuckoo Wrasse
- SEC Monitoring
- Increased Cetacean bycatch and rising temperate; a possible link
- Fish parasite responds to climate change!
- A tribute to Lance Peters
Click here to download a free copy of issue No.27 Autumn 2003 in PDF format.
Newsletter No.26 Spring 2003
- A new look at Helford’s birds
- National recognition for Stella Turk
- Chairman Changes ….
- Dolphin disaster
- Calcified seaweed or maerl
- New bylaws have been passed to protect the humble cockle
- Bass protection measures – byelaw changes
- Making the ‘Jaws of the Helford’ video
- ‘Sea-searching’ for marine life
- Percuil oil pollution control boom development
- A caribbean cruise with a difference!
Click here to download a free copy of issue No.26 Spring 2003 in PDF format.